What are different types of graphic?
There are a lot of different kinds of graphics that can be used to show information. Here are some common types of graphics:
Graphs and charts: Charts and graphs are pictures of data that can compare and contrast different values or trends. Bar graphs, line graphs, pie charts, and scatter plots are all graphs.
Maps: Maps are pictures that show the layout and features of a certain area, like a city, region, or country. Maps can show places of interest, physical features, and political borders.
Diagrams: Diagrams are pictures that show how different parts or ideas fit together. Flowcharts, organizational charts, and technical diagrams are all examples.
Illustrations: Illustrations are pictures of things, people, or scenes drawn in a stylized or artistic way. Illustrations can be made using different tools, like pen and ink, watercolor, or digital tools.
Infographics: Infographics are pictures that combine text, charts, and other visual elements to show information in a clear and visually appealing way. Infographics are often used to show complicated ideas or data in a way that is easier to understand.
Here are a few more details about each of the types of graphics I mentioned:
Charts and graphs:
- Graphs and charts are used to show information visually. They make it easy for people to see patterns, trends, and connections in the data.
- There are many charts and graphs, and each is best for different kinds of data. For instance:
- A bar chart is used to compare values across categories.
- A line chart is used to show trends over time.
- A pie chart is used to show proportions or percentages.
- A scatter plot is used to show the relationship between two variables.
- Maps are pictures that show how an area is laid out and what features it has. They can be natural things like mountains, rivers, and lakes or things that people made, like roads, buildings, and political borders.
- Different projections, which are mathematical models that show the surface of the earth or other 3D objects on a 2D plane, can be used to make maps. Different types of projections have different qualities and can be used for different things.
- Diagrams are pictures that show how different parts or ideas fit together. They often show how something works or how an organization or system is put together.
- Examples of diagrams include:
- Flowcharts, which show the steps in a process or the flow of information.
- Organizational charts, which show the hierarchy and relationships within an organization.
- Technical diagrams, which show the components and functions of a device or system.
- Illustrations are pictures of things, people, or scenes drawn in a stylized or artistic way. They can be made with different tools, like pen and ink, watercolor, or digital tools.
- Illustrations can make a document more interesting to look at or to make information easier to understand.
- Infographics are pictures that combine text, charts, and other visual elements to show information in a clear and visually appealing way. They are often used to explain complex ideas or data in a way that is easier to understand.
- Infographics can include a variety of elements, such as:
- Headlines and captions
- Icons and symbols
- Images and illustrations
- Charts and graphs